1) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
This is the first game I played on the Switch and ultimately what opened me up to what was possible on the system. It still blows my mind that such a massive world can fit inside of a cartridge and be taken with me. And it's not just that the world is large and full of things to explore, but the things you find aren't just your typical open world busy work, and that's what impresses me most of all.
2) Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)
Metroid II on the GameBoy was my first exposure to the franchise, so naturally there was a lot of nostalgia going into the remake. Samus Returns manages to modernize the game in such a way that not only are there new things to find and enemies to defeat for veterans, but it makes the game palatable to folks who may not have had any desire to to experience the black and white original. It is sometimes unforgiving, but always enjoyable.
3) Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Vita)
4) Fire Emblem Warriors (Switch)
5) Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)
6) Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (3DS)
7) Splatoon 2 (Switch)
8) ARMS (Switch)
9) Mighty Gunvolt Burst (Switch)
10) Blaster Master Zero (Switch)
by Sean Madson, Reviewer at Diehard GameFan